One pet peeve of teaching art is realizing how much material can sometimes be wasted. To make up for this, I’ve tried to incorporate as many recyclable items in my lesson plans as possible. For Halloween, I had the 5th and 6th grade students make decorations using toilet paper rolls that they brought in from home. I previously thought the activity might be to easy for them but they actually really enjoyed it.
- Review Halloween vocabulary
Toilet paper rolls, scissors, paper, markers or paint, toilet paper (for ghosts)
- Brainstorm Halloween vocabulary with students and write them on the board. Tell students you will be decorating for Halloween.
- Students have the creativity to create whatever Halloween creature they would like. Since they are older, they are allowed more freedom.
- Give students an example of one you have made, and then show some pictures so they can have some ideas of what they can make. Some pictures can be found here.
- Hang them on the wall, from the ceiling, or anywhere that they will give a fright to your kids!