During the holiday season in Spain, the only holiday that really gets celebrated in the schools is Christmas. Schools are decorated with the Three Kings and good ole Saint Nick. While they certainly have the right to do so, I have also seen the need to teach my students about other holidays during the winter time. I had my students create mosaic snowmen, to also teach a little about Gaudi, that were celebrating different holidays around the world.
- Learn about different holidays and religions from around the world
- Create Gaudi inspired snowmen
Large colored paper, white paper, different colored construction paper, markers, crayons, scissors, glue
- Quick-write- Give students 1 minute to write down all of the winter holidays they can think of. Then share with the class. Use this PowerPoint to guide the lesson.
- Briefly discuss the different holidays: Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, Diwali, St. Nick’s Day, and Chinese New Year.
- Students get into groups of three or four and pick a holiday out of a hat.
- Give each group a written explanation of the holiday including customs, traditions, and clothing. Also give examples of pictures. You will have to match it to their level of English.
- Students read about their given holiday and then sketch a snowman that is shown celebrating that holiday.
- After the teacher has seen the sketch, give the students large paper, white paper, and other colored paper to create their mosaic snowman. It is always a good idea to show them an example first.